Sunday, July 4, 2010

Another Unusual Fourth

I can say for certain there has only been a handful of times that I have not been able to follow tradition for the 4th of July. This is one of those years and this happened three years ago when I was in New York for the summer. It is a little disappointing to not be able to follow tradition; going back to the area my father grew up and spend time with my parents and my best friend’s family. However, there is a reassurance in being away as well. I know I am supposed to be here and today has not been bad, just different. This morning we went to church then I ate lunch with my group and discussed the speaker I mentioned before, Sy Rogers. Since returning from lunch in Central Park, I have been relaxing in room until I leave for the next adventure. Getting some rest in before this next week of serving is good too. I am hopeful that I WILL see fireworks tonight. My sweet best friend has been sending me text messages today as they do our usual 4th activities so that I can enjoy it vicariously.

As said before, I plan on discussing some things that I heard and learned from Sy Rogers (I believe you can learn more about him on syrogers.com). But, before I forget, I want to mention some sincere and beautiful moments we had with the children this week. Although children can be disobedient they have redeeming times (just like us adults, imagine that!) One of the boys who fought and ran a lot also braided my hair on Wednesday. At one moment, I had three children braiding my hair and soon after that two other girls on my team were having their hair braided as well. It was nice to see the children delight in some simple things like playing “Miss Mary Mack” (you know the patty cake rhyme? “Miss Mary Mack Mack Mack, All dressed in black black black…”). Also, they were very excited about going to the park the last day we were with them.

Now back to Sy. Just a forewarning, some of the topics I discuss may be sensitive or controversial in some arenas, but I want to be free to share them for the sake of honesty and genuineness. I have nowhere near the space to reiterate Sy’s story nor in the best way, so if you are curious about his life story I will direct you to the website in the previous paragraph. He is a very capturing man with quite a story. He spoke to us for almost ten hours this week (in split segments). Here are some quotes and thoughts on what he said:
- He often mentioned that everyone is sinful. People are quick to rank their self above others when it comes to behavior. However, no matter an individual’s behavior, if they are not reconciled to God through Christ, they will not get into heaven. Sy speaks up a lot about sexuality because it has a lot to do with his past. He said, “Both straight people and gay people can go to hell [if they have not been redeemed by Christ].” I think this reminds people to remove their self from pedestals; they are not better than another. He said further, “People struggle because they are human”. God knows this, He knows our struggles, and He wants us regardless of their existence. I think this is beautiful and reassuring (even though I knew it previously).
- People often define sin as bad behavior, distasteful behavior. Well, certainly that can be true. Sy went further and said sin is to “not do what God wants; to miss or fall short of the standard of God’s intent or design”. We could never meet all the marks, but Jesus reconciled that; He never failed. Sometimes we try to meet the standard, but fall short.
- It was also explained that there are MANY reasons why we sin. Yes, human nature has a big part of it, but that is not the only reason. These reasons explain our sin, but do not excuse them. Yet, as many times as we mess up, we can continue to return to God and ask Him to clean us and we will not be rejected.
- There is this perception that being a Christian solves all of life’s problems and makes it easier. This is not so. Christians still struggle, but instead of attempting those struggles on their own, they have Jesus. We still have temptation and sin in our lives. This realization means we can recognize when we are failing to “miss the mark” and turn to God. Additionally, since all humans struggle with different desires we are to love one another regardless of behavior. This is not to be accepting of behavior, but rather to love like Christ. God is the judge of the person, not us (“Do not show partiality in judging; hear both small and great alike. Do not be afraid of any man, for judgment belongs to God. Bring me any case too hard for you, and I will hear it.” Deuteronomy 1:17). As Sy said, “I don’t have to be perfect for God to love me”.
- I especially was hit by Sy’s statement: “Love is to value someone”. It is so simple and Jesus showed it in the scripture so many times. He spoke to people and LOVED them, when society did not. This is true today. And so, even though I may not always agree with what people do or I miss the mark myself, I can turn to God and submit that downfall and trust in Him to work in me.
Sy gave so much information that I cannot include it all! I will just say God used him to impart a lot of information and wisdom to me. I am hoping that this creates transformation in me and the others who heard Sy. Also, by sharing I bet it will it give you all many things to think about. I’ll leave with this verse:
“So we have been greatly encouraged in the midst of our troubles and suffering, dear brothers and sisters, because you have remained strong in your faith”. 1 Thessalonians 3:7.

Ohh, and Happy Fourth of July! Lots of love and remember to take at least a moment to think about the many sacrifices that have been made by individuals for the USA.

No comments:

Post a Comment